Monday, August 24, 2009

Questions Parents Should Ask Their Kids About School

One of my favorite bloggers Will Richardson dedicated a recent post to the anxiety that parents face at the start of the new school year. In Will's case, he has the added anxiety of his children beginning the year in a new school.

In any event, the post left me with some more food for thought in regards to what I want for my children in their school. In fact, I am sure they hit at the heart of the universal questions that all parents have for their children and ensuring that they receive the best education that they can get.

It all begins with a simple, yet profound question - "What did you create today?"

The post goes on to list a number of other questions that we should be asking our kids about what is happening in their school. What would your questions be?

Will sums up the heart of the matter as follows: "As a parent, I think I have every right to expect that my kids are immersed in spaces where learning is loved and enjoyed and shared every single day. Classrooms where they are engaged in meaningful work that makes them think, a majority of time doing stuff that can’t be measured by some impersonal state test. (I can give them software to do much of that.) Where the adults that surround them are models for that learning work themselves. Is that too much to ask?"

No comments:

Post a Comment